Preparing and Canning Relishes
Pickled Three-Bean Salad
- 1-1/2 cups cut and blanched green or yellow beans (prepared as below)
- 1-1/2 cups canned, drained, red kidney beans
- 1 cup canned, drained garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup trimmed and thinly sliced celery (1-1/2 medium stalks)
- 1/2 cup sliced green peppers (1/2 medium pepper)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (5 percent)
- 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp canning or pickling salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
Yield: About 5 to 6 half-pints
Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.
Procedure: Wash and snap off ends of fresh beans. Cut or snap into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
Blanch 3 minutes and cool immediately. Rinse kidney beans with tap water and drain again. Prepare
and measure all other vegetables. Combine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and water and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat. Add oil and salt and mix well. Add beans, onions, celery, and green pepper
to solution and bring to a simmer. Marinate 12 to 14 hours in refrigerator, then heat entire mixture to
a boil. Fill clean jars with solids. Add hot liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.
|Table 1. Recommended
process time for Pickled Three-Bean Salad in a
boiling water canner.
||Process Time at Altitudes of
|Style of Pack
||0 - 1,000 ft
||1,001 - 6,000 ft
||Above 6,000 ft
||Half-pints or Pints
This document was adapted from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning," Agriculture
Information Bulletin No. 539, USDA, revised 2009.
Reviewed November 2009.
How do I?
Cure & Smoke ·
Make Jam & Jelly ·
Seasonal Tips ·
Info Request ·