Preparing and Canning Relishes
- 8 cups chopped fresh peaches ( about 12 large)
- 8 cups chopped ripe tomatoes (about 12)
- 2 cups diced green sweet peppers (2 large)
- 1 tablespoon red hot pepper, ground (1 pepper)
- 2 cups ground onions (about 6)
- 4 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 cups cider vinegar (5%)
- 1½ teaspoons canning or pickling salt
- 4 tablespoons pickling spice, tied in cheesecloth bag
Yield: About 6 pint jars
Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.
Procedure: Peel and pit peaches. Chop into small pieces.
Peel and chop tomatoes into ½ inch pieces. Remove stem and seed
from peppers and dice into ¼ inch pieces. Peel onions and grind
in food chopper. Grind red hot peppers.
Combine all ingredients in 10 quart saucepan. Cook and stir about 1½
to 2 hours, until it reaches desired thickness.
Pack in hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles
and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean
paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling
Variation — Use two small hot peppers if you like a hotter
relish. For milder relish, substitute Tabasco to taste (½ to 1
teaspoon) for the peppers.
|Table 1. Recommended
process time for Oscar Relish in a boiling-water
||Process Time at Altitudes of
|Style of Pack
||0 - 1,000 ft
||1,001 - 6,000 ft
||Above 6,000 ft
This document was adapted from "So Easy to
Preserve", 4th ed. 1999. Bulletin 989, Cooperative Extension Service,
The University of Georgia, Athens. Revised by Elizabeth L. Andress. Ph.D.
and Judy A. Harrison, Ph.D., Extension Foods Specialists.
How do I?
Cure & Smoke ·
Make Jam & Jelly ·
Seasonal Tips ·
Info Request ·