Preparing and Canning Pickled Vegetables
Pickled Mixed Vegetables
- 4 lbs of 4- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, washed, and cut into 1-inch slices (cut off 1/16 inch from
blossom end and discard)
- 2 lbs peeled and quartered small onions
- 4 cups cut celery (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups peeled and cut carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups cut sweet red peppers (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups cauliflower flowerets
- 5 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp celery seed
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
Yield: About 10 pints
Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.
Procedure: Combine vegetables, cover with 2 inches of cubed or crushed ice, and refrigerate
3 to 4 hours. In 8-quart kettle, combine vinegar and mustard and mix well. Add salt, sugar,
celery seed, mustard seed, cloves, turmeric. Bring to a boil. Drain vegetables and add to hot pickling
solution. Cover and slowly bring to a boil. Drain vegetables but save pickling solution. Fill
vegetables in sterile pint jars, or clean quarts, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add pickling solution, leaving
Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.
|Table 1. Recommended
process time for Pickled Mixed Vegetables in a
||Process Time at Altitudes of
|Style of Pack
||0 - 1,000 ft
||1,001 - 6,000 ft
||Above 6,000 ft
This document was adapted from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning," Agriculture
Information Bulletin No. 539, USDA, revised 2009.
Reviewed November 2009.
How do I?
Cure & Smoke ·
Make Jam & Jelly ·
Seasonal Tips ·
Info Request ·