Curing & Smoking
Spiced Luncheon Loaf
This is an excellent all meat loaf for use as a cold cut or sandwich meat.
- 10 lbs. extra lean pork trimmings (80% lean)
- (1 1/2 Tbs.) 1.0 oz. clear corn syrup
- (9 Tbs.) 4.4 oz salt
- (3 Tbs.) 0.6 oz. white pepper
- (1 Tbs.) 0.2 oz. mace
- (1 1/4 tsp.) 0.1 oz. nutmeg
- (1 1/4 tsp.) 0.2 oz. sodium or potassium nitrate (saltpeter)
- (1/8 tsp.) 0.025 oz. sodium nitrite (optional)
(Please read about Nitrates and Nitrites)
Grind pork trimmings through 1/4-inch plate. Place in mixer, add balance of ingredients and mix thoroughly. Fill in molds or loaf pans or stuff in No. 6 fibrous casings and hold overnight in a 38ºF cooler to cure. Water cook at 160º to 165ºF until an internal temperature of 150ºF is reached. Allow to cool at room temperature, remove from molds and place in refrigeration for storage.
This document was extracted from "Sausage and Smoked Meat Formulation and Processing", 1982. Bulletin 865, Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia, Athens. By A. Estes Reynolds, Jr. and George A. Schuler, Extension Food Scientists.
How do I?
Cure & Smoke ·
Make Jam & Jelly ·
Seasonal Tips ·
Info Request ·