Curing & Smoking
Venison or Game Sausage
Venison is high quality, delicious and nutritious meat. Care should be used in handling venison just as you would any other meat. Most of the flavor in a meat product is in the fat; therefore, in making a breakfast type sausage using game meat, pork fat is used.
- 25 lbs. lean venison or trimmings
- 25 lbs. fat pork (jowls or fresh bellies)
- (2 cups) 1 lb. salt
- (15 Tbs.) 3 oz. black pepper
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. ginger
- (8 Tbs.) 1 oz. rubbed sage
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. crushed red pepper (optional)
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. ground red pepper (optional)
Cut lean venison and pork into small pieces, add spices and mix. Grind twice through 1/8-inch or 3/16-inch plate. Sausage may be stuffed, pattied, smoked or used in bulk form.
This document was extracted from "Sausage and Smoked Meat Formulation and Processing", 1982. Bulletin 865, Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia, Athens. By A. Estes Reynolds, Jr. and George A. Schuler, Extension Food Scientists.
How do I?
Cure & Smoke ·
Make Jam & Jelly ·
Seasonal Tips ·
Info Request ·